These cookies bring back a lot of memories of my childhood. They are a cake-like chewy, spicy cookie! And were something that my mother baked only at Christmastime. Tins were filled with these and other cookies she made to be given to friends and relatives.
- 5 eggs
- 1 lb. brown sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup molasses (Brer Rabbit–Full Flavor)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon (rounded, ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon (rounded, ground allspice)
- 1 teaspoon (rounded, ground cinnamon)
- 1 cup grated or finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease two jelly roll pans, cookie sheets with edges, generously. Then layer with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs until light, beat in the sugar. Measure flour by dipping into canister and leveling.
- Stir the spices and flour together. Add slowly to the egg/sugar mixture. Beating well each time. Add nuts, mix well.
- Spread over the bottom of the prepared pans, bake for 15-20 minutes until firm. Cool thoroughly.
- Spread with lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar glaze. Add a few more drops of juice to the glaze, if it is too thick. It does not take much.
- Cover with plastic and set aside 24 hours before cutting into squares or diamonds.
- Keep in a tightly covered container.
*****This recipe has worked for me after making it numerous times, which is why I am sharing it. However, I don’t guarantee it will work for everyone! There are many factors and may depend on your ingredients, oven temperature, size of your containers, etc. If you make this recipe, I would appreciate hearing from you!*****